Travel planning is all about two things: “where” and “how”.
While travelling independently lets you change your plans on the go, it’s good to have some specific places and routes already in mind. But… just as important as deciding where to go is having the right ideas and knowledge to make the most of your adventure.
- How to Travel as Cheaply as Possible
- The Essential Travel Tools & Resources
- Pre-Travel Checklist: 16 Things You Shouldn’t Forget
- 17 Amazingly Cheap Destinations You Should Travel To (for a little inspiration…)
- How You Can Take The Leap & Travel Long Term (for the ambitious traveller!)
My best travel advice
The posts here are just the tip of the iceberg. I wrote a book called Travel the World Without Worries which goes into far more depth than any blog post can — and it also gets much more personal. Readers have called it “extremely informative, funny and above all, inspiring”, and “the single most helpful resource for planning a trip” that “obliterates your fears and struggles and turns them into pure excitement”. Find Out More.
Finding cheap flights
- How to Become a Pro at Finding Amazingly Cheap Flights ESSENTIAL POST
- How to Snag the Ultimate Cheap Flights (Before Anyone Else Does)
- 3 Ways to Book RTW (Round-the-World) Flights
- Flying On One-Way Tickets: How to Avoid Problems
Finding places to stay
Travelling is as much about where you’re staying as where you’re going. Use my tips to find places that are both cheap and charming…
- How to Find the Best Budget Hotels, Hostels & Airbnbs ESSENTIAL POST
- How Hostels Work: Everything You Need To Know
- 6 Things That Make A Hostel Awesome
Take it from someone who’s travelled a lot: it’s definitely worth getting travel insurance. I share with you some pro tips on what (and what not!) to look for in your insurance policy.
- Why It’s Wise to Get Travel Insurance ESSENTIAL POST
The art of traveling
- Anyone Can Go Backpacking… But Not Everyone Should
- Avoiding Travel FOMO: How to Forget Your Worries & Stay In The Zone
- Why You Shouldn’t Feel Bad About Skipping Famous Sights
- Will Re-visiting A Place Ruin Your Memories?
Comprehensive advice on budgeting and saving money can be found in my book, though I also maintain several annually updated posts with travel costs for specific destinations.
- South-East Asia Cost of Travel
- Central America Cost of Travel
- South America Cost of Travel
- How Much Does It Cost to Travel For 1 Year?
Packing & gear
You can find much more about this topic on my dedicated packing and travel gear page.