For a while now I’ve been posting little bite-sized pieces of travel wisdom on my social media channels. I thought I’d bring all the travel quotes I’ve posted together in this post, paired with images from my adventures. I hope they inspire you to pack your bags and hit that open road to destiny!
1. “Surely, of all the wonders of the world, the horizon is the greatest.” – Freya Stark
I love this quote. In fact, I love it so much I used it for the opening page of my book, Travel the World Without Worries. I think it speaks to the idea of travel not just being about the destinations, but about the journey.
PHOTO: Top of Tacamulco mountain, Guatemala
2. “It feels good to be lost in the right direction.”
PHOTO: Vinales, Cuba
3. “We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.”
PHOTO: Telica Volcano, Nicaragua
4. “Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.”
PHOTO: Foz de Iguazu, Brazil
5. “Travel, for me, is a little bit like being in love, because suddenly all your senses are at the setting marked “on.” Suddenly you’re alert to the secret patterns of the world.” – Pico Yver
PHOTO: Mountains in central Laos, shot from a hot air balloon
6. “Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” – Confucius
PHOTO: Path up to the ancient Lost City in Colombia
7. “You take an angry man to the Himalayas, he just starts complaining about the food. Nowhere is magical unless you can bring the right eyes to it.” – Pico Yver
This travel quote is a great reminder that experiencing the wonders of travel always relies on having the right attitude!
8. “It is fatal to know too much at the outset: boredom comes as quickly to the traveler who knows his route as to the novelist who is overcertain of his plot” – Paul Theroux
Paul Theroux is an amazing travel writer, and you’ll see a lot of travel quotes from him on this page. If you want to get inspired by reading an amazing travelogue, be sure to pick up his classic The Great Railway Bazaar!
PHOTO: Desierto de la Tatacoa, Colombia
9. “Anything is possible on a train: a great meal, a binge, a visit from card players, an intrigue, a good night’s sleep, and strangers’ monologues framed like Russian short stories.”
Travelling by train is possibly the best way to see the world. It’s amazing to see the landscapes change gradually instead of just flying over them.
PHOTO: the Pacific Railway through Mexico’s Copper Canyon
10. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list” – Susan Sontag
PHOTO: Lake Inle, Myanmar
11. “Half the fun of travel is the esthetic of lostness” – Ray Bradbury
PHOTO: Trekking in Colombia
12. “If travel has momentum and wants to stay in motion, then adventure has the gravitational pull of a black hole. The more you do it, the more you find a way to keep doing it.” – Josh Gates
Anyone who’s been on a big journey will surely recognize this. Once pandora’s box is opened, you only want to travel more!
PHOTO: Thom Lod Cave, northern Thailand
13. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world” – Gustave Flaubert
PHOTO: a small village in Bohol, Philippines
14. “Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.” – Paul Theroux
PHOTO: Salt lakes of Uyuni, Bolivia
15. “To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” – Freya Stark
16. “There’s always a way, if you’re not in a hurry.” – Paul Theroux
17. “Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God.” – Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
17. “Once you have traveled the voyage never ends. The mind can never break off from the journey” – Pat Conroy
PHOTO: Salt lakes of Uyuni, Bolivia
18. “It’s an irritating reality that many places and events defy description. Angkor Wat and Machu Picchu, for instance, seem to demand silence…” – Anthony Bourdain
PHOTO: Machu Picchu, Peru
19. “Travel is glamarous only in retrospect” – Paul Theroux
PHOTO: road trip in Guatemala
20. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
PHOTO: sailing near Komodo Islands, Indonesia
Feeling inspired by these travel quotes? Why not travel vicariously some more by reading my 91 weird and wonderful lessons learned from 2 years of travel.